As a dentist in Federal Way, our team is very focused on the prevention and treatment of periodontal disease. Periodontal(gum) disease includes gingivitis and periodontitis. If left untreated, periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss.
The word periodontal literally means “around the tooth”. Periodontal disease is a chronic bacterial infection that affects the gums and bone that support the teeth. It can attack one tooth or many. It begins when bacteria in the plaque causes the gums to become inflamed.
Studies have made a link showing that periodontal disease may be passed from parents to children and between couples. The research suggests that the bacteria that cause periodontal disease pass through saliva. This means that the common contact of saliva in families can put children and couples at risk for contracting periodontal disease from another family member.
What can you do to ensure the health of you and your family?
- See your Federal Way Dentist regularly for thorough dental cleanings and exams
- See your medical doctor regularly…..the connections are conclusive that certain medical conditions can contribute to periodontal disease
- Make sure to inform your dentist of any medications you are currently taking as these can also have an affect on your gums.
- If you have periodontal disease, see your dentist and hygienist every 3-4 months to keep the periodontal disease manageable.
- Consider the use of an electric toothbrush to give your home care the upper hand.
- Floss daily